5 medium-sized zucchinis
1½ cups tomato sauce
½ cup light ricotta cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ medium red onion, sliced in rounds
Optional: black pepper to taste
1. Chop both ends off of each zucchini.
2. Slice each zucchini length-wise into ⅕-inch slices, about 4 to 5 slices per zucchini.
3. In a baking dish, assemble the first layer of zucchini slices. Place four to five zucchini slices, tightly aligned, as your base.
4. Spread ½ cup tomato sauce over first layer of zucchini slices. Add ⅓ of total ricotta and mozzarella over sauce. Top with 4 to 6 slices of red onion.
5. Repeat the layer — zucchini slices, sauce, cheese, onion — a second time.
6. Repeat the layer a third time.
7. Top with the remaining zucchini slices. Lightly spread what’s left of the tomato sauce and cheese, and finish off with ground black pepper, if using.
8. Bake at 400°F for 60 to 70 minutes. Serves 4.
from Food & Nutrition