Our Vision: Savannah is a community committed to supporting healthy lifestyles
What we are about: During the summer of 2007, Savannah Mayor Otis Johnson launched the Healthy Savannah Initiative, with the aim of making Savannah a healthier place to live. Our aim is to increase opportunities for everyone to engage in physical activity and eat a nutritious, balanced diet. Healthy Savannah is not a program or a project – we are a social movement dedicated to making Savannah a healthier place to live. We are a strong, 100-plus member coalition of public, private, and non-profit organizations that is a 501(c) 3 non-profit public charity. Healthy Savannah serves all of Savannah and Chatham County. Active partners include government entities, academic institutions, businesses and corporations, media, faith-based organizations, and area events.
Volunteer Opportunities/Orientation: We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers who enjoy spreading the word about healthy living. Healthy Savannah supports a variety of community health events such as Food Day, Healthy Kids School Meetings, Parent Resource Fairs, Parent University, Rock ‘N’ Roll Marathon, Critz Tybee Run and much more. The Healthy Savannah Visibility Committee will send out volunteer opportunities as they arise. Volunteer opportunities are available weekdays, weekends, and evenings, and are typically scheduled in 2 – 4 hour increments. First time volunteers are advised to arrive at least 30 min prior to event start time.
- Encouraging the community to sign up for our monthly newsletters.
- Handing out and collecting event appropriate materials as needed.
- Informing the community about our current and upcoming projects.
- Answering questions about ways to live healthier within your community.
- Participate in kid focused art and conversations around healthy communities and neighborhoods. Kids draw their version of a healthier community with the goal of a collaborative compilation from all 10 schools at the end of the year.
Recruiting new volunteers:
- Healthy Savannah’s volunteers are the best. We take pride in having a great team of enthusiastic individuals to work with. More like minded people to join our team is always a plus!
Set Up and Break Down for events:
- This is ideal for individuals who would like to help out but not necessarily engage in one-on-one conversations.
- Some of our events will require us to collect Community Action Surveys which is part of our efforts to improve health and wellness throughout Savannah and Chatham County. Individuals are also encouraged to complete the online version of the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HS_CommunitySurvey2. Individuals with data entry skills will be able to help out in this area.
- Taking great pictures are a plus! This is a great way to show highlights from our meetings on Facebook, Twitter, Google +, etc.